Executive Coach | Speaker | Consultant
David is an executive coach who works with senior executives and high potential leaders to help them make permanent behavior changes. By working together, his clients increase their leadership impact, foster innovative cultures, and deliver ongoing results with speed.
A licensed maritime captain and Pacific Ocean sailor, “captain coach” is a serial entrepreneur known for creating high-performance teams, being a bridge builder between two cultures – business and technology – and leveraging disruptive technologies and innovative program management to deliver competitive advantage and ongoing results:
- Created and led seven successful startups inside organizations that are still generating $1B+ across industries: IBM, Boeing, Capgemini, and Seattle University
David was introduced to Marshall Goldsmith (Thinkers 50 #1 Leadership Thinker in the World) from his mentor, Alan Mulally (current Google Director and retired CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes and CEO of Ford) while founding and leading an award-winning “dot com” for Boeing (MyBoeingFleet.com). He has leveraged Alan’s Working Together Management System and Marshall’s Stakeholder Centered Coaching to:
- Improve Boeing’s Chairman’s Innovation Initiative (a $200 million corporate venturing fund that delivered $265NPV)
- Deliver 4 years of complex work in 2 years for BC Hydro that yielded $100M+ in operational benefits over 3 years.
- Co-found in 2005, for Seattle University, one of the first graduate business/law clinics in the nation. Based on the Grameen Bank micro-enterprise lending model, the clinic, now in its 14th year, has served over 400 clients and 300 students, and has created and grown 650+ jobs.
David chose to become certified in
Stakeholder Centered Coaching in 2017. His
clients include leaders at Boeing, Capgemini, Starbucks, and T-Mobile. Recently, Alan
nominated and Marshall selected him from 16,000 global
applicants for the Marshall
Goldsmith 100 Coaches “Champions
of Paying it Forward”:
SELECTED AWARDS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Awarded Capgemini Global Project of the Year for the $930M BC Hydro Smart Metering Program.
- Awarded11 Boeing Program Management Accolades; Aerospace and Tech Industry Awards for MyBoeingFleet.com.
- Thought leadership: The Effects of Digital Connectedness on America’s Manufacturing Industry and Einstein had his E=MC2. What’s your formula for innovation?
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATIONS
Yale University, B.S. Applied Mathematics
University of Washington, M.Ed.
Marshall Goldsmith Stakeholder Centered Coaching
Next Gen Leaders, Boeing Executive Education
Entrepreneurship, MIT Sloan School of Business
Agile Certifications (SAFe POPM, CSM, CSPO)
An avid sailboat racer and Pacific Ocean adventurer, David lives in Seattle with his best friend and wife, Margaret, and their Siberian Husky, Asha. Their two adult children, Ian and Catherine, are living lives filled with adventure.
“David is a strong leader, innovator, strategist and all-around great person. His strength lies in developing innovative strategies which leverage technology to deliver customer value and leading the team through the project with flawless execution. I enjoyed working with David to launch the Capgemini IoT practice and hope that I have the opportunity to work with him in the future.”
– Mary Haigis, Executive Vice President, Marketing, BDNA Corporation
“It is difficult to explain the level of gratitude and respect I have for David. He taught me to truly make a difference by getting to know my clients and understanding their concerns, issues, and needs. Thank you, David, for the inspiration, effort, and passion you bring each and every day.”
– Art Thomas, Owner and Entrepreneur